Goshavank or Nor Getik vank- a monastery complex on the top of Getik river's gorge(Goshavank village, Tavush province). The monastery was built by monks, on the place of one of the oldest shrines, which was destroyed by an earthquake.
In the XIII century, it was renamed Goshavank in honor of Mkhitar Gosh, a great monastery philosopher of Armenian reality. The monastery is one of the greatest medieval educational and cultural centres.
It hasn't got outer walls and is surrounded by village houses. All churches are connected with each other. Only St. Hripsime church stands on a hill- opposite the monastery complex.
The churches were basically built in the XII-XII centuries. But a pre-Christian structure was also preserved. At that time, church life was flourishing here. The peculiarity of this era's church architecture is an amazing harmony with the surrounding nature. The monastery complex Goshavank includes the church "Holy Mother of God", priests houses, the church of St. Gregory and St. Illuminator church. Next to the churches, there is a library-belfry which differs with its originality. Later 2 structures were built- St. Hripsime church and the tomb of Mkhitar Gosh.
Goshavank is a peculiar monastery complex, which contains the whole beauty of the Middle Ages. As well as the monastery of Haghartsin, Goshavank is also situated on the territory of Dilijan National Park.
The part of Goshavank monastery is also Khoranashat seminary.
The church “Holy Mother of God”
Holy Mother of God- the first church of the monastery complex. It was built in 1191-1196, belongs to the type of cruciform churches- with two-tier chapels, adjoining the main altar and two triangular niches on the southern and eastern walls. The main entrance is from the courtyard, and another entrance is from the northern part. The architecture inside, differs with its asceticism.
The gallery is situated between the porch and belfry.
St. Hripsime church was built in 1254, on the hill, south-east from the main complex. The church has rather ascetic architecture. A bit higher, there is a tomb of Gosh.
The House of Priests
The house was built just after the main church in 1197-1203. Belongs to the four-column type. Except 4 columns, the walls are also stood by pilasters. External and internal walls are free from decorations. In the lower part, there was a library, and in the upper part, there was a belfry. The structure is similar to the library of another medieval monastery- of Haghpat monastery.
St. Gregory church
The church was built in 1231. It is situated on the south-east of the monastery complex. This was built as a type of domed hall.
St. Illuminator church
The church “St. Illuminator” was built in 1237-1241. This little church belongs to the type of basilica, which wasn't so common that times. From other churches of the complex, it differs with its special wall decorations, graceful ornaments and with the architectural elements.
The 2-storey building of libarary-belfry is an interesting architectual phenomenon. The library was built in 1241, and the belfry in 1291. Inside the walls, there is a niche for keeping manuscripts.
The belfry, built on the library is very beautiful with a lower floor.
The special decorations of Goshavank monastery are khachkars. From both sides of St. Illuminator entrance there are khachkars of XII century, ornamented with jewelry accuracy.